Monday, April 16, 2012

Maui Brewing Co. Coconut Porter


I found this at HEB grocery store in the Clear Lake, TX area this evening. I figured since we were having big, honkin' Texas sized sirloin burgers for dinner, this would go great. The beer was the typical medium-dark brown of a porter and smelled toasty and chocolatey. The pour gave me cream colored, foamy head that dissipated quickly.
The packaging is in a can because the company claims, "Cans eliminate light damage and reduce the risk of oxidation, keeping this craft brew fresher than in bottles!
Cans are lighter, chill quicker, and can be enjoyed on beaches and in sensitive environments. Aluminum is the most recycled and most eco-friendly material."
This Coconut Porter is made with six varieties of malted barley, hops and hand-toasted coconut. It is brewed and canned in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii.
I was expecting more of a coconut taste, I guess like Malibu does to rum. However, the beer had a richness and a hint of sweetness to it but it didn't taste like coconut. The beer went really nice with our burgers that were ground sirloin cooked with Montreal steak seasoning and a real dry Merlot. Although it was a porter, not my fave in the beer categories, the flavor was rich enough, but the texture was lighter than I expected for a porter.
Fun can with a tag line I don't quite get: "...like hot chicks on the beach" Let me know if you know about that one...
Picked up a single can for $2.49 at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment